QuickBooks error H202 is a multi-user mode error in the program that prevents users from accessing the company file in a multi-user environment. Multi-user mode in QuickBooks enables multiple users to access the same company file and that too simultaneously. It needs users to configure the hosting on the server computer so that all the connected computers (workstations) can access the company file. However, there are multiple factors, such as network issues, incorrectly configured network servers, and various others, that can give rise to this error. What are the possible reasons behind the error and how to get rid of it are covered in this post. Let’s find out!
What Is QuickBooks Error Message H202?
When working in multi-user mode, you may encounter an error message on your screen that reads:
This company file is on another computer, and QuickBooks needs some help connecting.
In addition, the error message suggests the best troubleshooting procedure. It tells users to run the QuickBooks Database Server Manager, which is an important utility in QuickBooks. This utility can scan the file for possible issues and restore the network connection. There might be other possible reasons behind the arrival of the error as well, which we will discuss in this post.
What Are The Possible Reasons That Can Promote QuickBooks Error Code H202?
QuickBooks Desktop tries to communicate with the server to access the QuickBooks data file. However, when it fails to communicate with the server, error H202 in QuickBooks can crop up:
- When the server hosting is not configured properly.
- Blocked incoming and outgoing communication by server computer’s Firewall.
- A conflicting DNS server can also give rise to the error.
- QuickBooks is not able to get the IP address of the host system or server hosting the QuickBooks company file.
- Damaged Network Data file, which is required to run company file over the network.
- Essential QuickBooks services, like QuickBooksDBXX or QBCFMonitor, are not running.
Observable Symptoms Of QuickBooks Error H202
When QuickBooks error H202 occurs, you may observe its symptoms on your screen:
- You may not be able to work in a multi-user environment.
- Difficulty in accessing the company file located on another computer.
- An error message will show up on your screen notifying you about the error.
- QuickBooks freezes or stops working again and again for a few seconds.
- Slow windows performance is also a symptom of QuickBooks error H202.
Secure Ways To Deal With QuickBooks Multi-user Mode Error H202
Now that you have the essential information related to the error code H202, let’s proceed further to discuss the best troubleshooting solutions behind the error:
1: Test Your Network Connectivity
Ping your server from the workstation, which is getting the QuickBooks error H202, to check if your network connectivity is intact or not. If you are having trouble remembering the server name, turn on “Network Discovery” on your server computer and the faulty workstation. Follow the below-given steps thereafter:
- Open the Run Windows using the search box or Press Windows + R.
- Now in the run box, type “cmd” and hit the Enter button.
- Keep space between ping and server name.
- If a packet loss or sluggish reply is observed, your network needs to be repaired.
1: Run QuickBooks File Doctor Tool From Tool Hub
QuickBooks File Doctor is a powerful utility in the program using which you can fix common data and network-related issues. QBFD Tool can be accessed using the QuickBooks Tool Hub. Therefore, you need to download the QuickBooks Tool Hub in the first place by following the below-given steps:
• Go to Intuit’s official website and find the latest version of QuickBooks Tool Hub. Once found, download it.
• Save the downloaded file on your Desktop and then go to the download location.
• Run the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file to start the installation process.
• Follow the instructions given on your screen carefully to complete the installation and agree to the terms and conditions.
• Once the tool is installed and ready to use, open it.
• Now, in QuickBooks Tool Hub, select Company File Issues and choose QuickBooks File Doctor for the error resolution.
• It will determine and troubleshoot the common issues related to the QuickBooks company file and network.
• It may take up to 20 minutes for QuickBooks File Doctor to scan your company file and network file issues.
If the error continues, try the next solution for QuickBooks error H202.
Solution 3: Configure Your Firewall For QuickBooks Desktop
Your Windows Firewall can obstruct QuickBooks from communicating to the company file located on the server computer. To fix this issue, you need to configure the Firewall to exempt QuickBooks from being scanned. When not blocked, QuickBooks can communicate to the company file, and users can access their data file with ease. If QuickBooks error H202 appears again, try the next method.
Solution 4: Make Sure That Important QuickBooks Services Are Running
There are some essential services that are required to make the QuickBooks company file accessible in multi-user mode. However, you need to make sure that these services are able and are running. First of all, check the QuickBooksDBXX services. Below are your steps:
- Use the search box or press Windows + R to open the Run box.
- Now in the Run box, type services.msc and click on Enter.
- Thereafter, go to the Services window, browse and double-click QuickBooksDBXX on the list. (XX depicts your QuickBooks version).
- Thereafter, you will see the QuickBooksDBXX Properties window. Select Automatic as the Startup Type to proceed further.
- Make sure that the Service status is set to either Running or Started. If not, select Start.
- Moving ahead, choose the Recovery tab.
- Here, you need to choose to Restart the Service from all three drop-down lists labeled as: First failure, Second failure, and Subsequent failures.
- Click Apply, and then click OK, and it will save the changes you have made.
You need to repeat the same procedure for QBFCMonitorService.
Summing It All Up!
After following the steps discussed in this post, you can get rid of the QuickBooks error H202. For any reason, if the error is not resolved, get in touch with the experts to get prompt assistance. Explain your issues on connecting and they will not only tell what’s wrong but also fix it.
Also Read: QuickBooks Browser Not Supported